SUMMONED FOR JURY DUTY
If you have been summoned for Jury Duty:
All requests to be excused must be in writing and received by the Court at least one week before the date of service. Jury duty is normally only one day; therefore, requests to be excused must be for good reason and will not always be granted. If you have been called for Jury Duty and have a valid reason for asking to be excused, please send your request with necessary documentation as well as your phone number to: Jury Clerk, 73B District Court, 250 E. Huron Ave. Room 105, Bad Axe, MI 48413. (989) 269-7988
Important notices to those requested and serving Jury duty:
- Please advise friends and relatives that they are allowed in the courtroom, but not allowed in the jury room.
- Young children will not be allowed in the courtroom. Please, make child care arrangements in advance.
- Jurors must check in with the Bailiff by 9:00am. If you are selected to serve as a juror in a trial, the Court will instruct you as to your lunch hour and dismissal time. Ordinarily, lunch is between 12:00pm and 1:00pm but is subject to change depending on courtroom activity. Convenient lunchtime locations are available in the community. Jurors are allowed to bring bag lunches.
- Smoking is not allowed in the Huron County Building.
- If proof of jury service is necessary for you to present to your employer, the Court will furnish you with a letter upon request. Letters may be obtained from the Bailiff.
- Your pay as a juror is set by state law at $25.00 per full day and $40.00 for each subsequent full day plus mileage. Mileage, at $0.10 a mile, will be computed from your local address in the 73B District Court jurisdiction. A person will receive $12.50 per half day plus mileage and $20.00 for each additional half day.
- Access to jury service is available to all individuals with a disability. Please call the court before your jury date to ensure that accommodations have been met (989) 269-7988