top of page

To start a general civil lawsuit the cause of action must have occurred within Huron County or the defendant must reside in or do business in Huron County.

By having your case tried in the General Civil Division, you have the following rights:

  • You have the right to a jury trial.

  • You have the right to be represented by an attorney. You do not have the right to a court appointed attorney.

  • You have the right to an appeal beyond our court.

Filing a Complaint:

  • The filing fee, plus service fee for certified mail if you are not using personal service (see fee schedule). When filing by mail, send check (Michigan banks only) or money order made payable to the 73B District Court.

  • Defendant's first and last name.

  • Defendant's current address (post office box numbers are not enough when you want a process server to make personal service). If you furnish an incorrect address and the court officer attempts service, he is allowed by law to charge you for his/her time.

  • Amount of claim and pertinent dates.

  • A brief and concise statement of the nature of the claim. The responsibility is yours to prove two things to the Court. First, liability – why it is the defendant's obligation or responsibility to pay the money you claim. Second, damages- what is the exact amount of the money owed.

Once the complaint is filed, you will have to wait until after the defendant has had sufficient time to answer the complaint. If the Defendant was served by Certified mail or they were outside the state, they have 28 days to respond. If they were served by a process server then they have 21 days to respond.

Contact Information:
General Civil Clerk: Melissa Pallas
Phone Number: (989) 269-9987
Fax Number: (989) 269-6167

More information can be found at the SCAO web site: General Civil Self Help

73B District Court

bottom of page